Heating Oil: The Affordable Alternative
Oil heating offers significant advantages in comfort, reliability, and safety compared to other options like natural gas and propane systems. Today, with carbon taxes being considered or already enforced on heating resources, it’s also an affordable alternative.
How Carbon Taxes Are Expected To Affect Heating Costs
Carbon emissions taxes have received widespread criticism from those who say their impact on home heating costs will be crushing for many homeowners. Current taxes proposed for home heating in the Tri-State area are:
- Propane: Currently 22 cents per gallon, will rise to $1.07 per gallon by 2031.
- Heating oil: Now 39 cents per gallon, and expected to increase to $1.90 by 2031.
- Natural gas: Currently 20 cents per cubic foot, will rise to $1 by 2031.
Homeowners can also expect their electricity rates to increase from a current quarter of a cent per kilowatt-hour to 1.2 cents in 10 years.
Heating fuel producers now acknowledge a carbon tax is likely inevitable, as scientists and economists say it’s the best and most cost-efficient way to mitigate climate change. Homeowners, then, must carefully consider all the options when deciding how to heat their homes.
Heating Oil: Sorting Out the Facts From Fiction
There are many reasons why choosing oil to heat your home is a smart decision. Before making your final choice, here are some important points to consider.
- Availability. Heating oil supplies are plentiful and, unlike other fuels like natural gas, available to be delivered everywhere. Homeowners can easily store oil on their property or in above or underground tanks.
- Efficiency. Everyone wants a heating fuel that produces the most heat while consuming the least fuel. It only takes a small amount of heating oil to make a significant amount of heat. It’s more efficient than electricity and outperforms propane and natural gas when comparing heat output per gallon.
- Safety. Non-toxic and clean-burning, heating oil is also not explosive. If it leaks or spills, it does not pollute groundwater or the soil, nor does it emit greenhouse gases.
- Comfort. Heating oil burns hotter than other fuels, creating a radiating warmth that keeps your home feeling comfortable longer than other heating methods.
- Cost-savings. Because heating oil is highly efficient, you can save hundreds of dollars on your energy costs. The price of oil does fluctuate, but you can expect fewer tank refills because each tank lasts so long.
Lastly, you can expect an oil heating system to last longer, on average, than other heating equipment — often 20 years or more.
A Continuous Source of Efficient and Affordable Heating Oil
Approximately six million households, most of them in the U.S. Northeast, use heating oil as their primary heating fuel. It’s a great choice for those who live in areas with exceptionally harsh winter weather. Heating your Tri-State area home with oil is a tried-and-true system that is growing more popular.
SOS Xtreme Comfort provides a full range of heating oil services in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, including fuel delivery and equipment maintenance and repair work. Family-owned and -operated, we’re committed to making you and your home more comfortable at an affordable price.
When you choose SOS Xtreme Comfort for home heating oil delivery, you enjoy:
- No start-up, delivery, environmental, or hidden fees.
- Our “No-Run-Out” guarantee, which ensures your heating oil needs are met with precision.
- Complimentary “Comfort Watch” monitoring that keeps us informed of your current fuel needs.